09 March 2006

Volunteering as a marketing tool?

Now I am not a marketing expert but I have read plenty of books on the subject and am in the process of producing my marketng and PR strategy as I want to raise my profile significantly over the coming months.

However, money is always an issue for small businesses and I am already spending a large chunk on a fabulous looking professional leaflet (as opposed to one you can tell has been done on computer at home) so budget for other things is pretty tight. But I am also conscious that I need to spend money to make money (very wisely of course).

I am part of a BNI chapter and have been asked to become a part of their leadership team as the Membership Co-ordinator. I didn't hesitate accepting as it would raise my awareness and profile with other chapters in my area and also increase my confidence. I am really looking forward to the role as I can use all my skills as a Virtual Assistant to do the job.

It got me thinking though about other free profile awareness and advertising and I am researching other opportunities to volunteer as it holds a host of benefits to me personally and professionally. These include:
  • Giving back to the community
  • Providing my expertise and skills to organisations in need
  • Increasing my contacts network
  • Raising my profile and that of my business
  • Learning new skills and gaining more experience

I am also beginning to talk to my network to research opportunities available for board members as this is another good avenue to take. If you know of any vacancies, please email me.

If you haven't considered volunteering before, now might be the time to do it. Speak to your contacts to find some worthy causes. You never know what might come of it for you and your business.

Until next time,

Emma Walker
CKPA Office Solutions

No comments: